Thursday, August 4, 2011

Enough

Note: I debated whether or not to post this. I obviously decided to post it. It's a wordy post. It includes media references (sorry...) But, this is what has been on my mind the past couple of days, and that's what a blog is for, right? Sharing what's on your mind. Well, here it is:

The following pictures are from one of my all time favorite episodes of One Tree Hill (Episode 4x13 if you want to sit down and watch it sometime). The characters open up to each other in this episode. We find out insecurities and fears that they each have. It felt like one of the more true to life episodes to me. It was one that I could really relate to. I related to a lot of the characters in that episode, but by far the one I related to the most as far as the picture for the yearbook went was Brooke.
Brooke tells Chase (her partner for the assignment) that her biggest fear is "Not being enough." I've often thought about this, and applied it to myself. I have that same fear. That I'm not enough. Look at the words on and around Brooke. "Not talented enough." "Not smart enough." "Not pretty enough." "Not good enough." I think it's human nature to feel like this sometimes, but here's what I've been thinking about recently. Who am I not good enough for? Myself? My friends? My family? Strangers?
In "Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood" Carmen talks about being a "worthy friend" for a girl she met in college, Julia. In Carmen's case with Julia, being a worthy friend meant downplaying who she really is. It meant that Carmen basically forget about herself. She started to doubt herself. She even doubted the love of her family and her best friends (Tibby, Bridget, and Lena). I'd be lying if I said I never do this. I do. Sometimes I get trying so hard to be "good enough" for one person or a "worthy friend" that I start to doubt the love of my family and my true friends and I start to forget who I really am. I am a daughter of God. I am a person worthy of love. I am a person who is loved.
There are so many people in my life who I love. I've come to realize that the people who are truly meant to be part of my life will love me through my imperfections and be supportive of changes I want and need to make. I am enough for the people who matter. They are enough for me. I am trying day by day to improve and so are the people in my life. I am a worthy friend. I am a worthwhile person. I have so many worthwhile people in my life. So... once again I've realized that "Life Is Good."

No comments: